Did you know that despite the aggressive behavior of pitbull dogs,
this breed is easily trained as compared to other breeds? Dog training
will require the willingness of the dogs to participate. Some dog breeds
are smart while others are quite hard to train and you're lucky if you
own a pit bull. These dogs are smart and very eager to obey their
owners. You have to options when it comes to dog training - do it
yourself or you can hire a professional trainer. The techniques used for
training pit bulls and other dog breeds are now more effective and
easier. In due time, you will have an intelligent and friendly dog as
Follow these tips when training your pit bull:
1. Dogs usually live their lives in the current moment. When giving your punishment or reward, you have to make sure that you're doing it properly. Just in case you've found an 'accident' but it took place hours ago and now you see your pit bull taking a nap. Don't try to correct this wrong behavior NOW because your dog will associate the punishment with his nap and not the 'accident' that he did hours ago.
2. The rules should always be consistent. For instance, if your rule is not to allow your dog to sleep with you on the bed, then you shouldn't allow him to do so in the coming nights - not ever! If you give in to the 'doggy eyes' and other begging acts, your dog will learn that if he do those actions, he is going to get his way. Pitbull dogs may develop the wrong behavioral patterns and you will find it hard to correct it.
3. Always give a reward for your dog's good acts. As time pass, your dog will always do the right things so that he can get rewards or treats. When you go to the grocery, don't forget to buy some dog treats. Give the rewards properly. Never give treats for a behavior that you don't want your pit bull to develop.
4. Pit bulls are eager learners. Show your dog what you want him to do instead of forcing him to do it. If you train your dog by force, you will only intimidate and distract him thereby slowing the learning process.
5. It's not a good idea to shout or yell at your pet. Repeating the commands is ideal but if you the dog is not catching up, you might as well show him the right way to do it. Take your time and don't rush your pit bull.
6. Being patient has its rewards. As a trainer, you should be patient enough. You will surely encounter some tough times with your dog but this should not discourage you. The keys to success are consistency, gentleness, and humor.
These are some of the tips that you can use when training pit bull dogs. Follow them and you will have a peace-loving and friendly pit bull even in the presence of other dogs.